11/12/09

Show Review: Between the Buried and Me & In Flames

Ever since I discovered Between The Buried And Me this past spring, I’ve been hooked. After hearing Selkies, they quickly moved ahead to be one of my favorite bands. It may be my all-time favorite song. I even wrote a song with sweeps inspired by the solo at the end of the song. All of this being said, when I heard they were coming to Philly, I immediately marked down the date and planned for a crazy night. And quite the eventful evening it was… From nearly running out of gas in stop and go traffic to the actual show, it was quite the event. Unfortunately, in our hitting stop and go traffic, having to stop for gas, having to drop a friend off at Temple, and then discovering that everywhere we wanted to park was full, we ended up late to the show. We missed 3 Inches of Blood and some other band I hadn’t heard of, but got there just in time for BTBAM.


The set was solid.
It consisted of: All Bodies, Selkies, Obfuscation, Foam Born A and B and White Walls. Despite being sick, frontman Tommy Rogers came through with his ridiculously powerful screaming and left the crowd to fill in some of the softer singing parts. All of the instrumental work came through with studio-quality precision and, as it usually does, blew my mind. Paul Waggoner’s guitar work is simply amazing.
Closing the night was In Flames. I had listened to these guys a few times before, but they never really did much for me. I feel like them playing after BTBAM took away from the show more than anything. Not that they weren’t good, but they just don’t have as much to bring to the table as BTBAM. The crowd seemed to be just as content with them, however[editors note: I am just as content with them as well]. There was even some crazy drunk guy who jumped from the balcony down to the pit to mosh… Somehow they let you do that at the Troc? Also, during In Flames, the stage lost power for a good 10 minutes. No one really knew what was going on. At the end of the night, the show was a good one and a great time, even looking back on it like a month later.

-Alex Brubaker

No comments:

Post a Comment