11/11/09

Rave Review: Let Your Body Take Control

Well I keep waiting and waiting to find some photographic evidence this went down and can't seem to do so. I thought it was documented online when kids sneeze in the Northern Liberties and Fishtown. I probably missed it cause I don't have a twitter.

Anyway, after the Asher Roth/Lupe Fiasco show, me and a couple friends headed over to 941 Theater (which by the way is about to get shut down because of money issues, educate&donate here) to catch the latter half of Let Your Body Take Control, an occasional throwdown done by the Seclusiasis crew. In this particular case, they were celebrating a bunch of birthdays, the release of the Philly issue of XLR8R and the Street Bass vol. 4 12" with open bar for the 21+ crowd (18+ to get in), free copies of the magazine, and on-site screen printing (?). I got on the list via 51:51 so we all got the discounted $12 cover.

More musically, AC Slater (a Philly native now tearing up NYC and elsewhere with Trouble & Bass), Starkey (who is from Philly but plays more in England), and Dev79 were spinning (I missed Sonkin and Dr. Ew & John Bean). These guys are into heavy bass music of all kinds, which they call "street bass", including dubstep, electro, grime, rap, and much more. They played great sets, some stuff I knew, some I didn't, all with the unifying aesthetic of bass that was evident from 3 blocks away where we parked. The crowd was a mixed bag of ravers, people just looking for a party, and uncomfortable-looking tagalongs scattered among a bunch of hipsters, including one I see around Temple all the time and recognize from this hilarious website. I danced hard enough to notice the building had been ventilated as a theater, not a club, and ended up stripping down to my booty shorts and a wife beater, which was unorthodox but acceptable in this environment. If Seclusiasis is throwing the party, go.

No comments:

Post a Comment