2/13/09

Show Review: Six Chasing Seven

Lynchburg reggae/funk-influenced rockers Six Chasing Seven played a pretty good show at my school on Wednesday. We have a weekly free concert series called B-sides where up-and-coming bands perform in the Student Union on Wednesday nights, and they were the featured band this week. Their infectious original material and great cover of "Superstition" made for a great, upbeat night. I got to talk to the guys after the show, and the keyboardist and saxophonist and I discovered we had a lot of connections, which was pretty cool. I'd been looking forward to this one for a while, ever since we got their Direction EP at the radio station. The live experience just improved on their already impressive recording. If I had to make a comparison, I'd describe them as a reggae band fronted by a cross between John Mayer and Tom Chaplin of Keane. The lyrics are almost uniformly positive, and frequently contain strong Christian messages since the frontman turned his life around and converted to Christianity in the process of going to prison for drug-related offenses. I'll be seeing them again later this year when they play at the summer camp where I work, and I suggest you check them out too.

Here's a video of them performing that "Superstition" cover a little over a year ago. I must say that their personal style and stage presence have improved since then, but it'll help you get the general vibe:

No comments:

Post a Comment