2/18/09

Homeboy Music: Alex Brubaker

Homeboy Music is a series I'm starting where I will cover one friend of mine who is also a musical artist of some kind once a week until I run out. This week's artist is Alex Brubaker.

I met Alex when I hitched a ride with him to see August Burns Red at the Champ freshman year and then again to see Haste the Day. He's a really good guy who also happens to be an amazing musician, which makes going to shows with him interesting since he's always analyzing the guitarists' technique.

Alex is a guitarist whose technical proficiency never ceases to amaze me. He makes frequent use of tapping (yeah, that crazy August Rush ish), looping, and a bunch of other techniques that I don't fully understand, similar to artists like the recent indie darling Kaki King. He cites King, Trace Bundy, and Angel Vivaldi, among others, as influences. I just saw him do his thing at a Messiah coffeehouse the other night and it was awesome.

Check out this video of him playing "Horse in the Clouds" on his couch:

Go see him with singer/songwriters Sam Coakley (expect an upcoming profile) and Brian Turner for free at South Side Cafe this Friday @ 8 and/or next Saturday at Juice and Java in Mechanicsburg (a 2-hour show he tells me will involve 2 guitars).

No comments:

Post a Comment