12/25/10

Merry Christmas: The Best Dance Tracks of 2010

My criteria: I must have actually played this out at least once this year and it must have come out this year. Other than that it is purely subjective.

Originals:
1. Magic - B.O.B. featuring Rivers Cuomo
I've been following B.O.B. ever since I heard his dark, Beatles-sampling club anthem "Lonely People" a couple years ago, so when he not only blew up but dropped a single this addictive featuring Rivers Cuomo of Weezer, I lost my mind.

2. All I Do Is Win - DJ Khaled featuring Ludacris, Rick Ross, Snoop Dogg, and T-Pain
My love of T-Pain overcame my hatred of Khaled on this one, helped along by an insane Luda verse and a way-too-easy pause right before the hook to build dancefloor anticipation. Rick Ross keeps pace on his big year, and Snoop builds on his new strategy of dropping great albums no one listens to while keeping in the spotlight with throwaway guest verses.

3. F*** You - Cee-Lo Green
Watching the eccentric Cee-Lo come into his own over the years with Goodie Mob and Gnarls Barkley has been fun, and Motown-inspired production and a catchy Bruno Mars-penned hook provide the perfect counterpoint to his vocal. Post-breakup sendoffs should not sound this epic.

4. Blah Blah Blah - Ke$ha feat. 3oh!3
The two most-annoying-to-type artists in America convinced me with their domination of dancefloors in the UK. My Warped-Tour-kids-who-party friends put me up on 3oh!3 back in the day, and I've bumped every Benny Blanco beat since Bangers & Cash. Plus, it's interesting hearing hip-hop's overt gender roles flipped for once.

5. W.T.P. - Eminem
The concession to old Eminem on the recovered Eminem's album, this song is an anthem that will unfortunately never be a hit. Lines like "if your bellybutton's not an innie then I'm outtie" remind us why we liked Eminem in the first place while we warm up for what is sure to be an epic white trash party.

Remixes:

1. Forever [Nero Remix] - Drake featuring Eminem, Kanye West, and Lil' Wayne
One of the definitive posse cuts gets the dubstep-lite treatment, switching up the order to get Em's return to form in earlier. The only way this could have been better is the inclusion of Kardinal's verse from the original mixtape version. It does manage to squeeze in the ubiquitous Degrassi star, the most infamous tweeter, and everyone's favorite recently released convict.

2. Bottoms Up [Emynd Atlanta Bass Remix] - Trey Songz featuring Nicki Minaj
Gotta get Nicki in here somewhere, and where better than on a party anthem that needed a bump up in tempo. Trey has had a big year (notice him farther down) and I always love Emynd's work; I spent my 21st birthday at his monthly The Bounce putting a few too many bottoms up. Trey & Nicki "Bottoms Up (Emynd Atlanta Bass Remix)" by Emynd

3. Last Night [Kolstrom Remix] - Peter Bjorn and John
A kid I met in Paris who was also spending a semester abroad in England picked up more than just a taste of dubstep; he got the skills for it too. Whenever I want explain dubstep to someone, I play Caspa, Rusko, Flying Lotus, Skream, and this. It helps out that almost no one has heard it, so they're all shocked when the huge drop comes in on an otherwise mellow PB&J track.
Peter Bjorn and John - Last Night (Kolstrom Remix) by kolstrom
4. Dancing with the DJ [Chiddy Bang Remix] - The Knocks
I came across this prepping for the KNO Clothing launch party, and I love the indie disco feel of the O.G. Knocks track, Chiddy, and his take on it. Chiddy has been everywhere this year (including a show at Messiah), with spot on production and remixing by Xaphoon Jones. I'd love to include "Pass Out" but I haven't dropped it live yet so it doesn't fit the criteria.
Chiddy Bang - Dancing With The DJ (Remix) f/ The Knocks by Pretty Much Amazing
5. Say Ah [Emynd Edit featuring Reef the Lost Cauze] - Trey Songz
Trey again, this time with my favorite underground rapper, Reef the Lost Cauze, courtesy of Emynd (again). This song was just a bit too catchy, got overplayed, and then the opportunity to showcase some local Philly talent let me bring it back into sets. Emynd does a great job cleaning it up, at least compared to the version on Reef's recent Raiders of the Lost Art tape. Trey Songz "Say Ah" (Emynd Edit ft Reef The Lost Cauze" by Emynd

No comments:

Post a Comment