3/15/10

Save HM Magazine!

Hey,
I know this isn't something I normally do, but I think that this magazine, and music magazines in general, need support to continue existing through this recession. As a blogger, it seems odd for me to support print journalism, but I read The Fader, Paste, HM, and whatever other magazines I can get my hands on as often as possible. Not having a permanent address makes subscriptions a bit difficult, but I support what they do. Please read this and help HM out if you can. They host a great stage every year at Purple Door, do some great interviews, and a lot of other things that help make faith a force to be dealt with in hardcore music and vice versa.
Thanks,
Foxy

110_cover3.indd

Hello friends.

You may have seen this information in the new issue of the magazine or on my blog, but I wanted to make sure everyone we have community and connection with see this message.

I’ve seen magazines come and go in the time I’ve been editing
HM. Metal Edge, which started the same year we did (1985) folded up last year, joining a growing list of music magazines that includes CCM Magazine. In April of 2008 I went to the Nashville party CCMthrew for its friends as a way of saying goodbye to print. I saw John Styll, who founded the magazine in 1978 and was often available to me over the years to answer questions and offer advice about publishing magazines. At this party I asked him, “How does it feel to watch your baby cease printing?” And he expressed frustration that it ended so close to its 30-year anniversary. “They were only 3 issues away from its 30th Anniversary issue.” I immediately thought of where I’d be two short years later. I hoped I wouldn’t face the same fate. I’ve done lots of soul searching and seeking the face of the Lord. I do not think it’s time to give up this publication or go all-digital. I’m in the thick of a fight and struggle to keep it going. But I need your help. This past year has seen a drastic dip in advertising sales, which is our major source of income (and we depend upon it to pay those large print bills). To keep the magazine printing, we went into debt. We found ways to cut our overhead and have done about everything we can think of to lower our operating costs. I think I’ve figured out a way to survive and actually grow again, but we need to get out from under this debt before it crushes us. Will you help?

We are not a non-profit group (although it’s something we’ve explored), so your gift will not be tax-deductible. You’ve probably seen other people or organizations say this, but it’s true that every little bit helps. Sometimes breaking it down to manageable chunks makes it easier to consider. If everyone on our list gave $5, we’d be out of debt and in a much better position to succeed in a strained magazine & music economy. Would you pray about what to give? Last year I saw my friends at
Paste Magazine send out an appeal similar to this. They were able to meet their goals and look to survive. Thanks to many musician and label friends, we have some gifts to offer as a way of saying “Thanks” to anyone who donates (any amount). If you're interested in donating more than $100, you'll get a lifetime subscription to HM Magazine, that'll keep it coming to you as long as it lives on (both print, digital and who knows what else technology will bring). With my oldest daughter turning 14 the day I write this, I have to admit that I think about passing the torch to another editor someday as I hope HM Magazine lives on another 25 years ... and then some!

We’ve collected and are still collecting rare, unavailable-in-stores or just plain cool tunes. Artists like
Superdrag, John Davis, Sophia,Theocracy, Harmony, Sleeping At Last, Mortification, Men As Trees Walking, White Collar Sideshow, Guardian, I Am Alpha And Omega, The Ember Days, Nightmare Records and many more... In order to make this easier on my server and your download experience, I have taken these 50 songs and broken them down into 10-song chunks (or "volumes," which is a mucher nicer word than "chunk"). So, when you make a donation to HM Magazine (using your credit card, debit card, paypal or send a check via the mail - to pobox 367, hutto tx 78634), you will receive a password that will unlock the various volumes (1-10).

I’m still collecting tunes, so please log in to
hmmag.com/faqsupport to check out the latest information with this campaign (and see a full song list). And please consider doing some other things to help, too, like promoting HM Magazine at stores, to youth groups, pastors, friends, etc. If you know people that could benefit from marketing to HM’s audience, encourage them to contact us. Thanks for your help. I can’t do it without you.

Click here
TO DONATE.

Sincerely and gratefully,
Doug Van Pelt
Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment