6/29/11

Things Bothering Me About Mainstream Hip-hop

1)Rick Ross is a correctional officer, but no one is calling him out on naming himself after a dealer, continuing to constantly rap about cocaine, his supposed source of wealth, and promoting drug dealers like Big Meech and Larry Hoover to youth. He is encouraging kids to engage in the same sorts of behavior the convicts he once guarded did. On top of that, he cannot even use the excuse of describing his life: he never did any of the things he talks about, and has no regretful or admonishing songs to speak of like other rappers with questionable content.
2) Drake constantly talks about coming from nothing, despite being a freaking child television star. Degrassi was huge. Every girl I knew watched it at age 12ish. I want to hate his music, I really do, but unfortunately I don't. His one of his first hits was a ripoff of an old Kardinal Offishall mixtape track. Kardi gets considered a one-hit wonder, but Drake is taken seriously as an artist? You've got to be kidding me.

3) Why did they make Nicki Minaj a singer on her album? Enough said.

Guess I'll just have to mope and listen to underground stuff til I cheer up:

No comments:

Post a Comment